Wednesday, May 9, 2018

on bolos

Our co-laborer, Ellie, called yesterday to say that her neighbor had kindly given her some bolo (cake) that was left over from a party they threw. Ellie eats gluten free, so she was calling to see if we could like it and later brought it over.

I had another "only in Brazil" moment as I opened up the container later on that night to see 2 pieces of chocolate cake, 1 piece of coconut, pineapple, and whipped-cream cake, and 1 piece of mayonnaise, chicken, pea, pickle, and carrot cake. I had forgotten that cake comes in both sweet and savory varieties here!

Thankfully, I did not get the privilege of enjoying a lovely dollop of mayonnaise after finishing the coconut whipped-cream cake.

I wasn't able to snap a picture before some of the cake was devoured, but for reference here's what bolo de frango (chicken cake) can look like:

image from: https://guiadacozinha.com.br/bolo-salgado-de-frango-e-pure/

No comments:

Post a Comment